Counter

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

End of an Era & the beginning of a new one - My Road Not Taken

As I make this blog entry, I have just about another 16 -17 days of corporate life left. As I prepare myself mentally for the journey ahead (I don't think any amount of planning can prepare one for the end of the first salaryless month) I cannot but help think about how drastic this decision has been for me. After spending a decade in this corporate world working for organisations, being an employee - the decision to start out on my own and being my own employer has been quite a difficult decision to make.
But like they say - you have to learn to take the leap of faith once in awhile. And once you have been bitten by the famous 'entrepreneurial bug' very few people can resist this temptation of starting out on their own and being your own boss - and I am no exception here.
The circumstances that I startout with as a backdrop are just as challenging. But that's what makes it more interesting. 
As I think back -to not so long ago, probably just a couple of months back (most people I know plan these transformations and changes over years of planning!!!..me not beyond a couple of months max!!) I cannot pinpoint to that exact moment when this wave of change swept over me and I decided to take the plunge. What was the trigger, what was the tipping point, what made me change over from someone who had no belief whatsoever in starting out on my own to this person who said bye bye to a regular job and regular income. From being someone who dreamt of rising up the corporate ladder to wanting to being her own boss. 
Poof! One fine day all those earlier thoughts and determinations seemed to have gone up in the air!And new goals and determinations seem to have taken their place...
I cannot but think of one of my favourite poems yet again. Robert Frost has so beautifully said it all so right in his poem "The Road Not Taken"....I sign off with this beautiful piece of work which is so apt..

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no feet had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

No comments: